Okay this was not what I had planned for the day but on Monday night our son, Tony, Haley's dad called and said he had fallen on Sunday night onto his foot and he thought it was broken! Ugh, why wait so long. I figured it probably wasn't broken if he could wait so long but it deserved a visit to the Dr. We decided on the ER since he doesn't go to his family physician enough to claim him as his own LOL MISTAKE!
Five hours later, three xrays and one catscan (sp) it was broken in three places. This is a first rate hospital in our area and I have to say I have some serious questions. In five hours he saw one nurse in the first 30 min, one time only. The doctor came in three times and seriously spent no more than 3 min. each time. First exam and yep need xray, second 'xray is inconclusive and on the way out the door, 'ordering a ctscan'. and 'yep it's broken in these three places someone will be in to splint it and send you to a doctor'.......I wonder if they charge by the word!
The air conditioning was on the fritz and the room was about 55 degrees. No one came in so no one knew he was freezing not to mention ME. I finally went into the hall and asked for two blankets. THEN the best. A man, not a nurse, not sure his classification came in and put on a fiberglass splint and some ace bandages. He laid crutches against the counter. He asked Tony his height and weight and wrote it on a form and then had Tony sign it. It turned out to be verification of receipt of the crutches. Did he fit them, NO. Tony starts out the room and has no clue how to work them or that they are five inches too short!!!! As we are passing two nurses who are looking strangely at him I asked "Do you think those fit?" They jumped into action and adjusted them in the HALL!
Now here is my question. Is this because he is disabled and on Medi-Cal and didn't feel good enough to stand to shave yesterday? Or just poor service?? It made me sad...
He is feeling better today and the Dr.'s office still hasn't called back so not sure when he gets the cast...Hummmm another of these situations I wonder????
7 years ago

Oh my Kathy, hope things turn out for Tony and his poor foot. Wish I could say your experience was rare, but we also had a horrifying time in the ER at Emory University Hospital, which is also suppose to be a top notch place. Scary.
ReplyDelete(hugs to you and yours)
Sorry about your horrible experience! And sorry about Tony's foot!
ReplyDeleteHopefully he gets his cast soon and feels better!